Sauna Detoxification Therapy
A Guide for the Chemically Sensitive
About the Book
For sufferers of multiple chemical sensitivities (MCS), the lack of information on toxicity, coupled with skepticism, misdiagnosis, and very limited research in the medical community, has made treatment difficult. In the early 1980s, doctors began to experiment with thorough sweating as a way of purging the body of harmful chemicals. The use of a sauna was found surprisingly effective for treatment of a variety of illnesses.
Information on sauna detoxification therapy is therefore presented here in full so that MCS sufferers can make informed choices. The causes and symptoms of MCS are discussed, along with current medical information. Real life experiences of those who have chosen sauna treatment are provided with a look at such options as health clubs, detox centers and home sauna units.
The special value of this book is its detailed specifications and drawings for a home sauna made entirely of nontoxic building materials. Appendices include a directory of manufacturers and distributors, product information, helpful organizations, publications and other information.
About the Author(s)
Marilyn G. McVicker
Foreword by Richard E. Layton, M.D.
Introduction by Lawrence A. Plumlee, M.D.
Format: softcover (6 x 9)
Bibliographic Info: photos, notes, references, appendices, bibliography, index
Copyright Date: 1997
Table of Contents
List of Figures ix
1. The Issue of Chemical Illness 13
2. Sauna History and Research 23
3. Understanding Detoxification 37
4. Getting Ready 41
5. Deciding: The Options 55
6. Home Sauna Units 69
7. Some Final Considerations 103
Book Reviews & Awards
- “well-researched, thorough, easy-to-understand…will save patients considering sauna detox time, money, frustration and possibly their health…invaluable”—The Human Ecologist
- “discusses the causes and symptoms of multiple chemical sensitivity, describes the benefits of sauna detoxification therapy, and looks at options including health clubs, detox centers, and home sauna units”—SciTech Book News