Casts, Credits and Commentary on More Than 350 Historical Spectacle Movies, 2d ed.
About the Book
“Epic” films, those concerned with monumental events and larger-than-life characters, cover the period from the Creation to the A.D. 1200s and have been churned out by Hollywood and overseas studios since the dawn of filmmaking. Cecil B. DeMille, a master of the genre, hit upon the perfect mixture of sex, splendor, and the sacred to lure audiences to his epic productions.
The 355 film entries include casts and credits, plot synopsis, and narratives on the making of the films. There are 190 photographs in this editon.
About the Author(s)
Gary Allen Smith
Format: softcover (7 x 10)
Bibliographic Info: 190 photos, appendices, bibliography, index
Copyright Date: 2009 
Table of Contents
Foreword: Choreographing Antiquity (Stephen Papich) 1
THE FILMS 13
Appendix 1: Related Titles 283
Appendix 2: Epics That Never Were 287
Book Reviews & Awards
- “[the author] has done a terrific job bringing all these films together. His comments are perceptive, sometimes funny, always well considered. A third volume would not be a bad thing”—Classic Images
- “this volume provides a good introduction to the mainstream genre…a pleasant addition”—Booklist
- “a faithful record of an important film genre”—Communication Booknotes Quarterly
- “enjoyable…entertaining and browsable…highly recommended”—ARBA
- “informative encyclopedia, crammed with all the expected cast and credit data one could wish for”—Film Review
- “this book delivers the goods all the way”—Little Shoppe of Horrors.