College Success for Students with Disabilities
A Guide to Finding and Using Resources, with Real-World Stories
In stock (can be backordered)
About the Book
The demanding workload and fast pace of college often overwhelm students. Without access to the right resources, many of the three million U.S. college students with disabilities fail or drop out—at a much higher rate than their peers.
This guide helps students, parents, counselors and psychologists find the appropriate resources and accommodations to help students with disabilities successfully transition to college.
The author explains Americans with Disabilities Act laws and outlines steps for requesting and implementing college staff, classroom and testing accommodations.
Student testimonies are included, advising on which assistive technologies and resources have worked to achieve academic success.
About the Author(s)
Irene Ingersoll has taught students with disabilities for 35 years. She recently retired from High Point University in North Carolina, where she was the disability coordinator for the college, serving over 400 students with disabilities. A college consultant, helping students with disabilities find the right college fit, she lives in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
Format: softcover (6 x 9)
Bibliographic Info: glossary, bibliography, index
Copyright Date: 2016
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Foreword by Nido R. Qubein 1
Part I: The Basics
1. New Hurdles for College Freshmen with Disabilities 5
2. What Can Be Done to Turn Around a Bad Academic Start 21
3. Understanding Documented Disabilities and the ADA Laws for College 34
Part II: Specific Disabilities with Accommodations, Resources and Student Testimonies
4. Physical Disabilities: Student Testimonies—Collin and Chase 43
5. Medical Disabilities: Student Testimony—Kristy 64
6. Dyslexia: Student Testimonies—Zack and Deanna 76
7. Reading and Writing Disabilities: Student Testimonies—Ryan and Dee 92
8. Experiencing College with ADHD/ADD: Student Testimony—Tanner 109
9. Deaf and Hearing Loss Students: Student Testimony—Michael 122
10. Achieving Success for Students on the Autism Spectrum: Student Testimony—Andrew 137
11. Psychological Disabilities: Student Testimony—Kate 153
12. Blind and Visually Impaired: Student Testimony—John 163
13. Veterans with Disabilities Transitioning to College: Interviews—Bruce, Beth and Bob 173
14. Role of the Parent: Testimonies—Sherry, Steve, Jennifer and Susan 188
Part III: Triumph Over Adversity:
Resources You Can Put in Place
15. Self Advocacy and Working with Your Advisor 201
16. Colleges Across the Country with Excellent Support Services for Students with Disabilities 210
17. Technology Resources for Students with Disabilities: Student Testimony—Miranda 223
Book Reviews & Awards
“excellent examples…helpful for many students with disabilities seeking higher education…students with disabilities who think they might want to pursue a college degree should be given this book”—ARBA.