Civil War Biographies from the Western Waters
956 Confederate and Union Naval and Military Personnel, Contractors, Politicians, Officials, Steamboat Pilots and Others
About the Book
From 1861 to 1865, the Civil War raged along the great rivers of the Ohio and Mississippi valleys. While various Civil War biographies exist, none have been devoted exclusively to participants in the Western river war as waged down the Mississippi to the mouth of the Red River, and up the Ohio, the Tennessee and the Cumberland. Based on the Official Records, county histories, newspapers and internet sources, this is the first work to profile personnel involved in the fighting on these great streams.
Included in this biographical encyclopedia are Union and Confederate naval officers down to the rank of mate; enlisted sailors who won the Medal of Honor, or otherwise distinguished themselves or who wrote accounts of life on the gunboats; army officers and leaders who played a direct role in combat along Western waters; political officials who influenced river operations; civilian steamboat captains and pilots who participated in wartime logistics; and civilian contractors directly involved, including shipbuilders, dam builders, naval constructors and munitions experts.
Each of the biographies includes (where known) birth, death and residence data; unit organization or ship; involvement in the river war; pre- and post-war careers; and source documentation. Hundreds of individuals are given their first historic recognition.
About the Author(s)
Myron J. Smith, Jr.
Format: softcover (8.5 x 11)
Bibliographic Info: 149 photos, appendices, bibliography, index
Copyright Date: 2015
Table of Contents
The Biographies 9
Appendix A: Individuals by Organization 271
Appendix B: Campaigns, Battles and Engagements 277
Appendix C: Ship Registers 292
Book Reviews & Awards
- Winner—ALA Outstanding Reference Source; A Library Journal Best Reference
- “Full of fascinating personal details…complete with an exhaustive bibliography, this rich resource will inform scholars and entertain Civil War buffs”—Library Journal
- “This comprehensive A-Z biographical encyclopedia is the culmination of the author’s notable contributions over 40 years to Civil War maritime literature…meticulously researched profiles…a useful resource for anyone interested in the Civil War…highly recommended”—Choice
- “If it sailed on the brown water of America’s Western rives during the Civil War and flew the Stars and Stripes of the Union Navy, Myron Smith more than likely knows about it”—America’s Civil War
- “I highly recommend this book as a valuable research tool”—Civil War News
- “Impressive…a valuable reference for anyone working the Civil War”—The NYMAS Review
- “Excellent”—Blue & Gray Magazine
- “Will help orient you to the people, both high and low, who shaped this critical part of the war’s crucial events…an essential research tool”—FGS Forum
- “Valuable reference source…highly recommended”—American Library Association
- “This work fills an obvious gap in the historiography concerning the Civil War”—ARBA.