American Businesses in China
Balancing Culture and Communication, 3d ed.
About the Book
Since the publication of earlier editions of this book, China’s political and economic landscapes have changed dramatically, with the rise of new leadership, evolving alliances, tariff wars, educational policies and technological advancements. Focusing on Chinese-American ventures, this expanded and revised edition chronicles the investments that have marked China’s astonishing growth in the 21st century.
Adding another dimension to the exploration of Chinese-American commerce, this edition discusses China’s roots in Confucian identity and its effect on modern business culture. Case studies of American businesses that have been successful in China are included.
Reflecting upon the changing nature of Chinese consumerism and international corporate behavior, the authors close with specific suggestions for those interested in doing business in China.
About the Author(s)
Nancy Lynch Street is professor emerita of communication studies at Bridgewater State University in Bridgewater, Massachusetts.
Marilyn J. Matelski is professor emerita of communication at Boston College in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts.
Nancy Lynch Street and Marilyn J. Matelski
Format: softcover (7 x 10)
Bibliographic Info: appendices, glossary, notes, bibliography, index
Copyright Date: 2019
Table of Contents
Chronology of Chinese–American Trade, 1786–2022 11
1. The Chinese Worldview 17
2. Issues in Globalization 48
3. China’s Changing Consumer Landscape 73
4. Case Study: Educational Programs and Exchanges in China 111
5. Case Study: Two Art Exhibitions Cross the Pacific 140
6. Case Study: “America Runs on Dunkin’” … But Will China? 166
7. Case Study: The Holiday Inn Network in China—More Is Better 181
8. Case Study: DaimlerChrysler—Silence in China After the “Deal Heard ’Round the World” 196
9. Case Study: The Foxboro Company—Infrastructure’s Hidden Jewel 207
10. Case Study: The 2008 Beijing Olympics—Panning for “The Gold” 227
11. Epilogue 254
Appendix A: China Profile 267
Appendix B: Traditional Chinese Holidays and Festivals 270
Appendix C: Contrasting Cultures 272
Appendix D: Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) Exchange Programs and Information for the Council on International
Educational Exchange 276
Appendix E: Information and Resources 278
Appendix F: Norms for Negotiation 279
Chapter Notes 289
Select Bibliography 317
Book Reviews & Awards
- Reviews of previous editions: “Recommended”—Choice
- “An excellent introduction to current Chinese culture”—Catholic Library World.