Advances in Graves’ Disease and Other Hyperthyroid Disorders
Only 4 left in stock
About the Book
In 2001 Graves’ Disease: A Practical Guide described the causes, diagnosis, treatment and disease course of Graves’ disease and other hyperthyroid disorders, such as toxic multinodular goiter, thyroiditis, resistance to thyroid hormone, and hyperthyroidism caused by medications and genetic mutations. The present work continues the above but focuses on subsequent advances in disease pathology, including discoveries regarding the genetic, immune system, and environmental factors that lead to hyperthyroid disorders; new guidelines for conventional treatment; and alternative and complementary medical therapies. Additional sections describe special circumstances such as hyperthyroidism in pregnancy and in children and transient hyperthyroidism in the newborn.
About the Author(s)
Elaine A. Moore has worked in hospital laboratories for more than 30 years, primarily in immunohematology and toxicology. She is a freelance medical writer and laboratory consultant. For more information, visit her website at www.elaine-moore.com. She lives in Sedalia, Colorado.
Lisa Marie Moore lives in Atlanta, Georgia where she works for the federal government.
Elaine A. Moore and Lisa Marie Moore
Format: softcover (6 x 9)
Bibliographic Info: 9 photos, glossary, bibliography, index
Copyright Date: 2013
Series: McFarland Health Topics
Table of Contents
1. Hyperthyroidism and Its Signs and Symptoms 5
2. Causes of Hyperthyroidism 27
3. Graves’ Disease: When the Autoimmune Response Goes Awry 47
4. Genetic and Environmental Factors and Inﬂuences 69
5. Coexisting Conditions in Graves’ Disease and Hyperthyroidism 87
6. Diagnosing Hyperthyroidism and Graves’ Disease 106
7. Conventional Treatment Options for Hyperthyroidism 131
8. Complementary and Alternative Treatments for Hyperthyroidism 160
9. Hyperthyroidism in Pregnancy and the Postpartum Period 187
10. Hyperthyroidism in Children and Adolescents 196
11. Graves’ Ophthalmopathy and Other Extrathyroidal Manifestations 211
Book Reviews & Awards
“this well-written guide is a timely and valuable resource”—ARBA.