The Christmas Encyclopedia, 4th ed.
About the Book
From the manger of Jesus Christ to the 21st century, this encyclopedia explores more than 2,000 years of Christmas past and present through 966 entries packed with a wide variety of historical and pop-culture subjects. Entries detail customs and traditions from around the world as well as classic Christmas movies, TV series/specials and animated cartoons. Arranged alphabetically by entry name, the book includes the historical background of popular sacred and secular songs as well as accounts of beloved literary works with Christmas themes from such noted authors as Charles Dickens, Louisa May Alcott, Hans Christian Andersen, Pearl Buck, Henry Van Dyke and others. All things Christmas are available here in one comprehensive volume.
About the Author(s)
William D. Crump is a retired physician. He lives in Madison, Tennessee.
William D. Crump
Format: softcover (8.5 x 11)
Bibliographic Info: 160 photos, bibliography, index
Copyright Date: 2023
Table of Contents
The Encyclopedia 5
Book Reviews & Awards
Reviews of previous editions:
• “Valuable…a wealth of information…many interesting historical illustrations…would be an asset to any collection”—Booklist
• “A detailed index…highly recommended”—Library Journal
• “Entries are readable and informative…recommended”—Reference Reviews
• “Massive index”—Choice
• “A charming book to browse…should offer up a great deal of enjoyment to those who use it”—ARBA
• “A true encyclopedia of Christmas…recommended”—Catholic Library World
• “A substantial expansion in coverage from previous editions…entries are fact-filled and loaded with interesting details…jam-packed with fascinating and fun information about Christmas”—Against the Grain
• “Engaging…readers can find engaging examples and fun Christmas trivia throughout. The focus on popular culture really makes Crump’s volume distinctive and particularly helpful”—Journal of American Culture