3,201 Entertainment Spectaculars, 1939 through 1993
About the Book
In 1954 NBC President Pat Weaver introduced “spectaculars”—lavish entertainment shows designed to bring a new dimension to television. Though special programs had been around since 1939, Weaver’s effort heralded a new age, with programs ranging from variety shows with big name hosts (Judy Garland, Cher, Perry Como, Bob Hope, for instance) through animated holiday specials and outstanding dramas to acclaimed children’s programming.
This is the guide to 3,197 entertainment specials, 1939 to 1993, that were broadcast on network, cable or syndicated television. For each show the cast, including guest stars and announcer, is provided. Also included are comprehensive production credits (director, producer, writer and music), dates aired, networks and running times, and program synopses.
About the Author(s)
Format: softcover (6 x 9)
Bibliographic Info: 63 photos, index
Copyright Date: 2008 
Book Reviews & Awards
- “Delightful, comprehensive…includes a personality index for easy cross-referencing…. Highly recommended for all libraries”—Library Journal
- “This work provides the most complete compilation of television entertainment specials available. Recommended for specialized or comprehensive research libraries”—Choice
- “A unique reference source…also great for browsing. Highly recommended”—Classic Images
- “Will be a valuable addition to standard TV book libraries…a delightful assemblage of forgotten TV history”—Big Reel
- “Terrace is arguably the most prolific developer of television reference material, with more than 30 books to his credit…of value in large libraries with entertainment collections”—ARBA