Practical Ethics in Sport Management
Only 1 left in stock
About the Book
Leaders and managers throughout the sporting world face many ethical challenges on a daily basis. Should an athletic director chastise an unruly but influential supporter? What factors should affect an athlete’s eligibility? Is competitiveness acceptable in youth sports? This text shows aspiring sports management professionals how to identify the moral issues in sports and develop principle-centered leadership practices to lead with justice, honesty, and beneficence. Among the issues addressed are the conflict between sportsmanship and gamesmanship, violence in sports, racial and gender equity, performance-enhancing drugs, academics, and commercialization. Throughout, specific examples from real-world sports situations and reflective questions encourage students to think critically. Instructors considering this book for use in a course may request an examination copy here.
About the Author(s)
Angela Lumpkin is a professor and department chair in the department of health, exercise, and sport sciences at Texas Tech University. She is the author of 22 books.
Sharon Kay Stoll serves as the director of the University of Idaho’s Center for ETHICS* and is the author of eight books.
Jennifer M. Beller is an associate professor of kinesiology and educational psychology at Washington State University and an affiliate faculty member to the University of Idaho’s Center for ETHICS*.
Angela Lumpkin, Sharon Kay Stoll and Jennifer M. Beeler
Format: softcover (7 x 10)
Bibliographic Info: 22 photos, bibliographies, index
Copyright Date: 2012
Table of Contents
1. Fundamentals of Ethics and Leadership in Sport Management 3
2. The Process of Making Morally Reasoned Decisions in Sports 20
3. Ethical Values and Principles versus the Challenges Facing Sport Managers and Leaders 35
4. The Conflict between Sportsmanship and Gamesmanship in Sports 48
5. Violence in Sports 70
6. Equity Issues in Sports 95
7. Competitive Advantages in Sports 134
8. Youth Sport Issues 167
9. Academics for Athletes in Colleges 187
10. Commercialized Sports in Schools and Colleges 212
11. Principle-Centered Leadership, Morality, and Ethical Decision-Making in Sports 239
Book Reviews & Awards
- “The authors supplement this thoughtful book with present-day examples and suggestions for further research. An important resource for students interested in sports management. Recommended”—Choice
- “This volume on management ethics explores issues in sports management from school and youth leagues through professional franchises”—Reference & Research Book News.