Nine Famous Operas
What’s Really Going On!
Only 2 left in stock
About the Book
This book contains analyses of the stories and music of nine operas, presented in chronological order from 1791 to 1928. These great works are most readily approached with an understanding of the conventions of the several operatic genres as well as the social conditions that influenced the composers and librettists. The popular and intellectual movements that influenced the operas and the original source material are also discussed. The operas are Mozart’s The Magic Flute, Beethoven’s Fidelio, Donizetti’s Lucia di Lammermoor, Wagner’s The Flying Dutchman, Verdi’s Rigoletto, Bizet’s Carmen, Leoncavallo’s Pagliacci, Strauss’ Salome, and Brecht’s The Threepenny Opera.
About the Author(s)
Iris J. Arnesen
Format: softcover (6 x 9)
Bibliographic Info: glossary, notes, bibliography, index
Copyright Date: 2010
Table of Contents
1. Let There Be Light: Mozart’s The Magic Flute 5
2. Judgment Day: Beethoven’s Fidelio 25
3. The Horror! The Horror! Donizetti’s Lucia di Lammermoor 43
4. Until the End of Time…:Wagner’s The Flying Dutchman 59
5. Nice Guys Finish Last: Verdi’s Rigoletto 85
6. The Madonna and the Whore: Bizet’s Carmen 103
7. Déjà Vu: Leoncavallo’s Pagliacci 133
8. The Love That Dares Not Speak Its Name: Strauss’s Salome 149
9. Crime Does Pay! Brecht’s The Threepenny Opera 171
Book Reviews & Awards
“commentaries…aim to increase appreciation of the stories by pointing out their most poignant and symbolic elements”—The Beethoven Journal.