A Chapter from Ghosts in the Gallery at CooperstownE-Single
About the Book
An irony of enshrinement at the baseball Hall of Fame is that it’s no guarantee of lasting name recognition. The sport’s history stretches too far back, as today fans scratch their heads about athletes and owners who were among the most celebrated public figures of their time. Who was more renowned than George Wright, baseball’s greatest star during the transition from amateur to professional play? Who was more feared than Big Dan Brouthers? Maybe it was Amos Rusie, who threw so hard that some say the rules makers increased the pitching distance just to make things fair. Of the 256 players, managers and executives in the Hall of Fame, the names that are known well—Ty Cobb, Connie Mack, Willie Mays—account for a small minority.
This e-single contains biographical and statistical information on Jack Chesbro, who enjoyed a remarkable career—and was a remarkable story, as the author discovered. This e-single originally appeared in Ghosts in the Gallery at Cooperstown as Chapter 4. E-singles available directly from McFarland are usually available in both epub and PDF formats. Where both exist, your purchase entitles you to both. The files are DRM-free and are available to you for subsequent download in your customer account page.
About the Author(s)
David L. Fleitz
Bibliographic Info: photos, notes, bibliography, index
Copyright Date: 2013
Book Reviews & Awards
- “Fleitz bashes another triple off the wall…clear, elegant, and entertaining biographies…striking…well-researched…a real gem…well-written, well edited”—SABR Deadball Committee Newsletter
- “Remarkable stories”—Sports Collectors Digest
- Best for tablets, phones and eReaders: Click the add to cart button, check out, and then Download the DRM-free epub from McFarland.
- Best for web, laptops and desktops: Click the add to cart button, check out, and then Download the DRM-free pdf from McFarland.
- E-singles available directly from McFarland are usually available in both epub and PDF formats. Where both exist, your purchase entitles you to both. The files are DRM-free and are available to you for subsequent download in your customer account page.