The Films, the Personnel, the Company
About the Book
Think you know everything there is to know about Hammer Films, the fabled “Studio that Dripped Blood?” The lowdown on all the imperishable classics of horror, like The Curse of Frankenstein, Horror of Dracula and The Devil Rides Out? What about the company’s less blood-curdling back catalog? What about the musicals, comedies and travelogues, the fantasies and historical epics—not to mention the pirate adventures? This lavishly illustrated encyclopedia covers every Hammer film and television production in thorough detail, including budgets, shooting schedules, publicity and more, along with all the actors, supporting players, writers, directors, producers, composers and technicians. Packed with quotes, behind-the-scenes anecdotes, credit lists and production specifics, this all-inclusive reference work is the last word on this cherished cinematic institution.
About the Author(s)
Format: hardcover (8.5 x 11)
Bibliographic Info: 397 photos, appendix, notes, bibliography, index
Copyright Date: 2018
Table of Contents
My Life with Hammer—A Rather Rambling Introduction 1
The Encyclopedia 5
Book Reviews & Awards
- A Booklist Starred Review
- “This superb encyclopedia is likely the definitive work on Britain’s most celebrated genre film producer. …this book covers the entirety of the studio’s filmography, not neglecting its forays into crime films and comedies. …Although Maxford is obviously a big fan, he doesn’t pull any punches about Hammer’s missteps and Hammer Complete functions as a guide to film quality as well as a purely factual work. …tons of illustrations, including rare foreign-market posters. ….A major achievement”—Booklist
- “It is really hard to be not excited when a book comes out on one of your favorite studios that is just a few pages shy of a 1000! Sure, some of you that ask, do we really need another book on Hammer Films? Well if it is as massive and thorough as this one, then that would be a definite yes! I have been waiting on this book to come out since McFarland announced it well over a a year ago, but had no idea how colossal of a tome this would be. Buy this book. If you are any kind of Hammer fan that craves information about the studio that dripped blood, then you must own this. It will be a never ending source of not only is a few minutes to browse through this before you come across a few titles that is going to make you want to go watch them again. That is a sign of a great book. I know I will be pulling this out each and every time I do any research on Hammer.”—Kitley’s Krypt
- “It’s thorough as hell…more thorough than thorough”—Bookgasm
- “Massive volume…a true treasure trove of information about all things Hammer…valuable”—ICv2.