Coins and Currency
An Historical Encyclopedia, 2d ed.
Only 3 left in stock
About the Book
Throughout history, money has developed as an integral part of human economy. During ancient times currency took varied forms, including beaver skins, bales of tobacco, and sea salt blocks. As art and technology advanced, monetary systems and currencies altered. Today, coins and currency provide an historical and archeological record of culture, religion, politics, and world leaders.
This updated second edition offers numerous entries of historical commentary on the role of coins and currency in human events, politics, and the arts. It begins with the origin of coins in ancient Sumer, and follows advancements in metallurgy and minting machines to paper, plastic, and electronic moneys designed to ease trade and halt counterfeiting and other forms of theft.
A timeline of monetary history is provided along with a glossary and bibliography. Numerous photographs of coins and bills provide an up-close look at beautiful and ingenious artifacts.
About the Author(s)
Mary Ellen Snodgrass
Format: softcover (8.5 x 11)
Bibliographic Info: 160 illustrations, glossary, bibliography, index
Copyright Date: 2019
Table of Contents
List of Entry Headings ix
The Encyclopedia 5
Time Line of Coins and Currency in History 355
Book Reviews & Awards
- “Snodgrass shines a light on coins and currency…Well sourced entries explore money facts and history from around the world…This readable resource will appeal to historians, travelers, and those interested in stories of rumored lost treasures, as well as to the obvious numismatic audience.”—Library Journal
- “History buffs, trivia enthusiasts, and those with a general interest in currency will find this a useful reference.”—Booklist
- Reviews from the first edition:
- “A fascinating account of people, places and terms…entries are well written…most entries have extensive see also references and a list of sources…recommended”—Booklist
- “Excellent access to persons, events, and topics…Snodgrass’s research is thorough…recommended”—Choice