Basic Library Skills, 5th ed.
In stock (can be backordered)
About the Book
This brand new edition of Wolf’s acclaimed work provides a self-contained, short course in essential library skills for patrons of college, high school and public libraries. The intent is to provide a quick and easy way to learn to do library research. The exercises contained herein give students hands-on experience by applying rules stated in the text to situations that approach real “research problems.”
Subjects addressed include a brief tour of the library; card catalogs and cataloging systems; filing rules; online public access catalogs; subject searching; bibliographies; book reviews and parts of a book; dictionaries; encyclopedias; handbooks; atlases; gazetteers; periodicals; newspapers; online database searching and reference sources; literature and criticism; e-books; government information and government documents; biographies; business, career and consumer information; non-print materials and special services; online computer use in libraries and schools; and hints for writing term papers.
Instructors considering this book for use in a course may request an examination copy here.
About the Author(s)
Format: softcover (6 x 9)
Bibliographic Info: 87 photos, appendix, index
Copyright Date: 2006
Table of Contents
1 A Walking Tour of the Library 5
2. The Catalog and Cataloging Systems 15
3. Online Public Access Catalogs 29
4. Subject Headings 43
5. Bibliography 51
6. Book Reviews and the Parts of a Book 65
7. General Information Sources 71
8. Periodicals and Newspapers 85
9. Online Database Searching and Reference Sources 103
10. Literature and Criticism 111
11. E-Books 123
12. Government Information and Government Documents 127
13. Biography 149
14. Business, Career and Consumer Information 161
15. Nonprint Materials and Special Services 171
16. Online Computer Use in Libraries and Schools 177
17. Hints for Writing Term Papers 183
Appendix: Answers to Exercises 191
“will be of great value…an excellent job”—VOYA; “thoroughly written and illustrated…a welcome update…solid”—ARBA; “a powerful schematic and hands-on guidebook…excellent…helpful”—Public Libraries; “a ready-made course on library instruction for patrons of college, high school, and public libraries”—American Libraries; “a new edition of a classic library manual of essential library skills”—The Book Report; “useful…easy to understand language”—Reference & User Services Quarterly.