An Introduction to Parapsychology, 5th ed.
Only 1 left in stock (can be backordered)
About the Book
This is a thoroughly updated and revised edition of our highly acclaimed university textbook on the science of parapsychology. The objective of this book is to provide an introductory survey of parapsychologists’ efforts to explore the authenticity and bases of anomalous, apparently paranormal phenomena. It outlines the origins of parapsychological research and critically reviews investigations of extrasensory perception, psychokinesis, poltergeist phenomena, near-death and out-of-body experiences, and the evaluation of parapsychology as a scientific enterprise.
Instructors considering this book for use in a course may request an examination copy here.
About the Author(s)
Harvey J. Irwin and Caroline A. Watt
Format: softcover (7 x 10)
Bibliographic Info: 19 photos, references, indexes
Copyright Date: 2007
Table of Contents
List of Figures viii
1. Introduction 1
2. Origins of Parapsychological Research 11
3. The Phenomenology of Extrasensory Perception 29
4. Experimental Research on Extrasensory Perception 48
5. Extrasensory Perception and Time 83
6. Psychokinesis 94
7. Special Topics in PK Research 109
8. Theories of Psi 124
9. The Survival Hypothesis 138
10. Poltergeist Experiences 145
11. Near-Death Experiences 157
12. Out-of-Body Experiences 173
13. Apparitional Experiences 192
14. Reincarnation Experiences 208
15. Belief in the Paranormal 222
16. Matters of Relevance 237
17. Evaluation of Parapsychology as a Scientific Enterprise 247
Name Index 303
Subject Index 309
“excellent…comprehensive…well written…high quality…recommended for public, college and university libraries”—Choice; “highly recommended…give[s] an intelligent overview…clear…organization is excellent”—The Journal of Parapsychology; “fills the gap because it is up to date, formally written, and wide in scope…a particularly useful resource for students and teachers alike…as a textbook, Irwin’s book is the best of its kind”—Journal of the American Society for Psychical Research; “an invaluable source book for students and would-be students of parapsychology…highly recommended”—The College of Psychic Studies.