American Cars, 1960–1972
Every Model, Year by Year
About the Book
The automotive industry underwent great change in the 1960s and the early 1970s. The continuing trend toward market consolidation, the proliferation of sizes and nameplates, and the “need for speed” characterized this period, loosely labeled as the muscle car era. This is an exhaustive reference work to American made cars of model years 1960–1972. Organized by year (and summarizing the market annually), it provides a yearly update on each make’s status and production figures, then details all models offered for that year. Model listings include available body styles, base prices, engine and transmission choices, power ratings, standard equipment, major options and their prices, curb weight and dimensions (interior and exterior), paint color choices, changes from the previous year’s model, and sales figures. Also given are assembly plant locations and historical overviews of each model nameplate.
The book is profusely illustrated with 1,018 photographs.
About the Author(s)
J. “Kelly” Flory, Jr.
Format: hardcover (8.5 x 11)
Bibliographic Info: 1,018 photos, index
Copyright Date: 2004
Book Reviews & Awards
- “Comprehensive…detailed”—Antique Automobile Club of America
- “Unique…extensive data…enormous amount of information…friendly writing style makes interesting reading…useful”—Booklist
- “This encyclopedic work is overwhelming in context. The research that went into this book is truly commendable”—Cars & Parts
- “A true reference book…the massive amount of detailed hard data is amazing”—Antique Automobile
- “Complete stats on every car…makes each one come alive…nearly 1,000 pictures…no self-respecting car nut can live without this book”—Old Cars Weekly
- “Extensive and exhaustive…excellent…recommended”—E-Streams
- “I have spent hours in this book and had to have it forcibly removed from my hands…is pure filet mignon for car fans…no self-respecting automobile nut can live without this one”—Old Autos
- “No library covering American-made automobiles is complete, much less comprehensive, without the three volumes of Kelly Flory’s American Cars…indispensable”—SAH Journal
- “I love this book…splendidly well-organized presentation…impressively complete…obviously [the author] loves these cars. His enthusiasm shines through in the introductions preceding each model segment, which are written with authority and clarity…highly recommended…fabulous”—Beverly Rae Kimes, SAH Journal
- “Encyclopedic in its detail”—The Kansas City Star