American Cars, 1946–1959
Every Model, Year by Year
In stock (can be backordered)
About the Book
From the resumption of automobile production at the close of World War II through the 1950s, the American auto industry would see the births and deaths of several manufacturers, great technological advances, and an era of dramatic styling as a prospering nation asserted its growing mobility. Cars of this period are among the most iconic vehicles ever built in the United States: the 1949 Ford, the remarkable Studebaker designs of 1950 and 1953, the 1955–1957 Chevrolets, the “Forward Look” Chrysler products, the ill-fated Edsel and many others.
This comprehensive reference book details every model from each of the major manufacturers (including independents such as Kaiser-Frazer and Crosley but excluding very low-volume marques such as Tucker) from model years 1946 through 1959. Year by year, it provides an overview of the industry and market, followed by an individual report on each company: its main news for the year (introductions or cancellations of models, new engines and transmissions, advertising themes, sales trends etc.); its production figures and market status; and its powertrain offerings, paint colors and major options. The company’s models are then detailed individually with such information as body styles, prices, dimensions and weights, standard equipment and production figures. Nearly 1,000 photographs are included.
About the Author(s)
J. “Kelly” Flory, Jr.
Format: hardcover (8.5 x 11)
Bibliographic Info: 948 photos, appendices, notes, bibliography, index
Copyright Date: 2008
Table of Contents
I. Minor Makes from the Immediate Postwar Period 1011
II. Transmission Types 1016
III. Engine Types 1020
IV. 1950s Dream Cars 1021
V. Milestones 1030
Book Reviews & Awards
- “order this book, lift it out of the shipping carton, and you’ll immediately be struck by what must have gone into organizing and writing it…exceptionally useful…this Flory volume is one to which you’ll return many times…is vital to any committed student of cars in the Fifties…[4 Stars…absolute must]”—Hemmings Classic Car
- “no library covering American-made automobiles is complete, much less comprehensive, without the three volumes of Kelly Flory’s American Cars…indispensable…a fascinating study”—SAH Journal
- “useful…a nice addition”—Booklist
- “comprehensive…detailed”—Antique Automobile Club of America
- “invaluable reference”—SciTech Book News
- “ready-reference…useful…extensive range of data…will appeal to any library supporting automotive interests”—ARBA