American Businesses in China
Balancing Culture and Communication, 2d ed.
In stock (can be backordered)
About the Book
In this expanded and revised edition of American Businesses in China, the authors provide readers with a close understanding of the breathtaking technological and cultural evolution of 21st century China. After several decades of economic globalization, the Chinese have emerged as quite successful in their economic relationships with the West despite several ideological differences.
Case studies of American businesses that have been successful in China also include a new chapter detailing American corporate participation in the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Reflecting upon the changing nature of Chinese consumerism and international corporate behavior, the authors close with specific suggestions for those interested in doing business in China.
Instructors considering this book for use in a course may request an examination copy here.
About the Author(s)
Nancy Lynch Street is professor emerita of communication studies at Bridgewater State University in Bridgewater, Massachusetts. Marilyn J. Matelski is professor emerita of communication at Boston College in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts.
Nancy Lynch Street and Marilyn J. Matelski
Format: softcover (6 x 9)
Bibliographic Info: chronology, appendices, glossary, notes, bibliography, index
Copyright Date: 2008
Table of Contents
Chronology of Chinese-American Trade, 1786–2008 15
1. The Chinese Worldview 21
2. Issues in Globalization 53
3. China’s Changing Consumer Landscape 76
4. Case Study: Educational Programs and Exchanges in China 112
5. Case Study: Two Art Exhibitions Cross the Pacific 140
6. Case Study: General Electric and Sesame Street—A True Joint Venture 169
7. Case Study: The Holiday Inn Network in China—More Is Better 188
8. Case Study: Daimler Chrysler—Silence in China After the “Deal Heard ’Round the World” 205
9. Case Study: The Foxboro Company—Infrastructure’s Hidden Jewel 218
10. Case Study: The 2008 Beijing Olympics—Panning for “The Gold” 242
11. Epilogue 266
Appendix A: China Profile 281
Appendix B: Traditional Chinese Holidays and Festivals 284
Appendix C: Contrasting Cultures 286
Appendix D: Council on International Educational Exchange 291
Appendix E: Information and Resources 293
Appendix F: Norms for Negotiation 295
Selected Bibliography 329
Book Reviews & Awards
“recommended”—Choice; “an excellent introduction to current Chinese culture”—Catholic Library World.